Friday, May 20, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Music


justin timberlake and britney spears


I'm kind of holding myself up for ridicule with this list.  Normally I have very particular musical taste, and to say I am persnickety would be rather an understatement.  So I'm not sure how this music sucked me in, but it did.  These are all pretty old songs, but I don't know that a guilty pleasure ever dies. When I talked about music to dance around the house, I suggested you crank it up.  With this music, however, perhaps you should keep the volume a tad lower, and I would certainly keep the windows rolled up in the car.  Your children may pretend they don't know you if you play these songs around them.  Unless they're a lot more tolerant than my children (gee, I just don't know where my kids get their strong opinions...).

Westside Connection:  "Gangsta Nation"

It's just so wrong, a middle-aged woman loving old rap like this.  But you will be tapping your toe, let me tell you.  Consider this an invitation to my gangster nation.  Excuse me.  My gangsta nation.

Justin Timberlake: "Senorita"

I really don't know what to say about this.  I really, really hate boy bands and their former members (although, speaking of members, I do have more respect for Timberlake after his song for SNL, "D*** in a Box"), but I really, really like this song.

Biz Markie:  "Just a Friend"

He can't really sing, he more just talks, and the song screams one-hit wonder.  I originally heard it in a Heineken commercial (the one in the taxi), and that's endorsement enough for me.  Plus it's really fun to sing along to.

Britney Spears:  "Toxic"

I think anything Britney Spears sings that isn't horrible (which I'm not sure leaves too many options...) has got to be a guilty pleasure. And the video (which is where the link for Britney will take you) is great--she gets what a video is supposed to be.  It's like music videos used to be before MTV (you know, MUSIC Television??) got so stupid and stopped playing music videos.

Fountains of Wayne:  "Stacy's Mom"

Same deal--like a throwback to the videos of the 80's.

NeYo:  "Closer"

I'm telling you, your kids are gonna disown you....

Ke$ha:  "TiKToK"

Anybody whose name and song title look like a series of typos may not be high on the intellectual property list.  But this is a great song.  You're going to want to go to a keg party.  Well, if they had them for old people.  But this is guilty pleasure to the nth degree, and an awful lot of fun to sing along to.

Okay.  That's enough for now.

2 comments: